Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Depth

Today the boys and I went to get their good friend Max and take him to the pool. On the way home we listened to this story. http://thestory.org/ of Jabari. Will and Max ignored it while Cooper listened intently. He found the story to be delightfully funny, and enlightening all at once. It amazed me that he found any depth in it at all. It was way over his head. It was like watching a baby discover themselves in a mirror. Jabari's insights were extremely deep, and Cooper's sense of them reflected that depth. Cooper's response to the epiphany Jabari has when he sees his relfection in a mirror while imprison was, "well of course! We are all in charge of ourselves. It's good that he figured that out. Now he can make good choices for himself. Prisoners just don't know that." I just sat silent. While I know he didn't understand everything he understood more more deeply than most. Not all jails have bars...

3 comments:

  1. Cooper is one smart kid. I bet he was cute as he listened intently to the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard that story on the radio, too. Cooper's insight soars beyond brilliant and into the beautiful. If only we could all see through his eyes . . .

    Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I am reading The Bell Jar and I cannot put it down!

    Bridget

    ReplyDelete

Trolling will not be tolerated, otherwise carry on.