Thursday, January 19, 2012

Perspective = Attitude

"I have to go the Bahamas in June, for about a month.  They are talking about Papua New Guinea for 6 weeks, but I don't think we'll go and besides I wouldn't be able to go anyway because of Joe's wedding."  I puke in my mouth a little.  I want to say, "ah hem.  Excuse me?!  I didn't walk away from things I loved so that you could go on "vacations".  I don't.  I roll my eyes instead.  It's my go to thing lately.  He says, "Don't worry the Army takes the fun out of everything."  They sure do, except I don't know how you can take the fun out of being in the Bahamas.

When he's gone, I'm home single parenting.  Like any other Army wife whose husband is absent.  I have no free time to do what I'd like (Hey, Michelle Obama there's something you can do to help military families CHILD CARE that we can actually afford).  I worry about him, diving is inherently dangerous.  I knew that's what I was signing up for, I just thought it would be for a nobler reason than going to the Bahamas to "train".  It irks me more than it should.  "It's just a job" he says to me frequently.  Yeah, sure it is.  It's a job that requires you to be gone for weeks at a time doing NOTHING important.  I told him last night my deepest darkest secret, "I'd rather you were gone for a year in combat than for a month here or there to places that are 'cool'.  Then my sacrifices would seem small, and worth while."  I'm pretty sure that's not actually true, but I sure feel that way sometimes.

I am capable. I am talented.  I am smart.  I am able.  I am all these things and more.  I feel trapped by his "job" so often because of the inconsistency it brings to our lives.  I can never get a schedule going.  As soon I do, he's gone again and I have to start from scratch.  Running, Grad school, a career; all things I desperately want to do and haven't yet.  I haven't because of the boys, because someone has to be around consistently for them.  So while he's off livin' the dream (he'll tell you quite another story.  I have a tendency to make his side of things sound way better for him than they are), I'm here being responsible.  I try so hard not to make it about "me", and yet I always do.

Seriously, say I get accepted into the Grad Program I'm aiming for.  They require summer classes.  Well, when he is off on these TDY's (Army for Temporary Duty) who is going to watch my kids?  They'd have a whole summer of no supervision.  They are in that weird in between period.  Too old for day care, not old enough to be alone.  I'd feel like a jerk.  If I ran 4 miles took classes and worked the boys would be totally screwed.  They'd be screwed if I just took the classes.  I used to run, teach and take classes.  Casey took care of the boys.  This flip flop of roles is tough.  Yet, I saw a man that hadn't had his turn because I had been the one living out my own dream.

Cooper and I at my Final Track Meet
for Indiana State.  Like I said
we had them young.
I make it about me because I once had life the way I wanted it.  It just about killed his spirit.  We had our kids young, very young.  We made a commitment to place our children above all else in our lives.  We're talking family dinners, family movie nights, FAMILY focused.  For several years this meant he stayed home and I worked.  I took advantage of the situation and ran, and started my masters.  He took the boys skateboarding, and painted with them.  He was a great stay at home dad (most of the time), even if he was a terrible house keeper (lol).  When I saw how miserable he'd become, how desperately unfulfilled he was, I urged him to pursue something of his own.  That's how we got here.

To be frank, he's a much better person than I am.  Even now, as "head of household", he is more considerate of me than I was of him when roles were reversed.  He does a wonderful job of honoring me on his trips, partially because he is incredibly cheap, but also because he understands its "just a job".  He doesn't take advantage of the situation or of me.  He recognizes how large I feel my sacrifice is, and he makes sacrifices of his own when he's away.  He spends his free time wisely and humbly, and calls home frequently to talk to the boys and me.  Really, can I ask for anything else?

Circa 2004 
We made a commitment to our kids; to raise them deliberately, and to put them, and their experience,  above all else.  He did his time, and now I'm doing mine.  It isn't always pleasant.  It isn't always fulfilling, but it is TOTALLY worth it when my kids are complimented on their behavior, kind heartedness, and work ethic, etc.  When I focus on the things I don't get to do I am hard to be around.  I don't even like myself.  When I focus instead on the ways that my best friend and husband acknowledges and respects my "willing" sacrifice I feel blessed, even if I'm not in the mood to feel "blessed".  Perspective is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolling will not be tolerated, otherwise carry on.