Monday, January 2, 2012

Something Good to say

I am obsessed with running along the James River, the river my ancestors (paternal lineage) traveled down in 1699.  Family history is so awesome.  I picture their wooden beast of a ship heaving itself up the James every time I run along it.  Though they were founding members of the Knights of Malta, They were now Huguenot nobility escaping religious oppression.  Not everyone lived through the trip across the punishing Atlantic.  They were escaping to the "New World" to land that William the Orange had promised them for their Heroics in his crusade against the Irish (Catholics).  The town they founded actually still exsists, there is a Huguenot museum there, (List of settlers: Daniel Foure is my ancestor listed in the final column).  This branch of my family sure liked to kill people in the name of religious affiliation.  I'm Catholic, my mom is Irish catholic.  So much for all that fighting, and exile.


I have a giant chest tattoo in the center is the family shield for this branch, behind it is a Maltese Cross, and behind the Maltese Cross is a Eucharist.  There is a point to all of this.  Everyone has something to contribute to our development spiritually and intellectually.  I don't want to miss out on what I can learn from Ayn Rand simply because she was an Atheist, "Ask yourself whether the dream of heaven and greatness should be waiting for us in our graves - or whether it should be ours here and now and on this earth."  I know what her intended meaning was, but I take something very different away from this quote than she intended.  Even though she might roll over in her grave, I can interpret this as telling me to live for heaven now.  I will not keep from myself the words of an author because of their religious beliefs, because I want to explore myself.  There is no discovery in exploration without a challenge.  I certainly will not kill someone because they don't see eye to eye with me.  

I am lucky enough know of the contradictions that riddle my family's history.  I think this has given me permission to view all people as equally, inherently, flawed, and as able teachers.  Einstein, Aristotle, Dickens, Rand, Ghandi, all flawed and all lend VALUABLE insights that I have learned from.  They all had something good to say.  While they may not share my religious beliefs or practices, they have something to teach about Virtue, even if some of them (ahem Dickens) weren't very virtuous.  I'll take the lesson and leave the internal struggle of the teacher to the teacher to worry about.  My tattoo is a "little" reminder of not only family history, but also of this lesson:  a life well lived accomplishes more than the sword.  Oh yeah,  P.s. on a sidenote.  Even though my Ancestor, Daniel Foure, was one of the Huguenots that helped to found Manakin Va in order to escape religious persecution, I cannot join the Huguenot society headed there because I am not a protestant.  I don't care who you are, that's funny.



2 comments:

  1. Hahaha. Indeed funny. I realized a few decades ago that being Catholic would limit may participation in my ancestor's Huguenot organization, but on the other side, when they fought in the Crusades, they were Catholic. ;) Any wonder we as Cooper's tend to be inclusive rather than exclusive. You, my dear daughter, are an Irish Catholic Huguenot, so you gotta either hate yourself or love everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just labels. Like on clothing. The label on the shirt doesn't = the quality of the human inside it. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Trolling will not be tolerated, otherwise carry on.