Tuesday, January 17, 2012

sweetest

My husband has been texting me on his lunch today with race propositions.  I'm not sure what they are talking about at work, but so far he has two race propositions from two different soldiers.  He is so cute.  I am lucky that he is, and always has been so supportive.  Saturday he suggested I make a three year plan.  With the goal three years from now being to train again.  Our kids would be almost 15 and almost 12, and my life would be less demanding (so we think now, right).  I guess I need to define what I mean when I say "train".  I haven't done that.

my 3 guys and the water


I love this article posted on facebook by my friend, and charge of Hudson, Pat Rizzo.  It spares no niceties in disclosing the two main facts about distance running; first, it takes years of running  A LOT (100+ miles per week) to be a world class elite, and second, there is no money in it for those of us (being me) national class runners.  The article, for me, speaks to the life I left.  Long workouts; 10 x 1 mile repeats or a 22 mile run with 16 miles just under marathon pace (at the time MP was 6:00-6:10), plus time at the Gym.  I LOVE working out like that.  Everyday I want to workout like that.  It is really time consuming and draining.  At least 2 hours a day of working out, and that's on the easier days.  Before I stopped training I had a hard time finding a gym because most of them have a 2 hour time limit for child care (Priorities awry).  Since training at that level, anything else seems silly.  All or nothing attitude that goes a little something like this, I can't eat just one M & M.  If I eat one I want to eat the entire 1 lb bag.  I don't care if makes me puke, they are simply too good.  So I'd rather just not eat that first M & M.  Running is the same way for me too.  Compulsive much?

On a TDY 


So I currently run 4 miles 4 times a week, or perhaps a 9 miler if I feel so moved and have the time.  I also make sure to give the stink eye to anyone that starts to talk about how hard they work out, to roll my eyes when his buddies talk about cross fit,  and to totally glaze over when I have to listen to these Army Divers brag about how hard core their PT is.  Because of course how I USED to work out far outshines what they do now.  Since I can't train like an elite athlete I have thrown in the towel on working out, and then roll my eyes at people that bust tail.  Sure that's totally rational.  There's no jealousy happening here, move along now.  Always working on that stinker inside of me.  She's a little thunder thief.  I ceased the involuntary one-ups-manship with them, that's a wonderful thing.  Glazing over is better right?

One of the other wives got into Cross-Fit and one day came over and started telling me what I needed to do to get better results from my workouts.  My reaction was totally inappropriate and cost us our friendship.  I stopped her mid prescription and told her something to the effect of "I don't want your help.  I was an athlete for years before you got into this fad."  She is the sensitive (in a sweet way) type, and this really hurt her feelings.  This attitude of superiority surfaced post Army.  That whole, "I'll show you attitude" just sorta went crazy, and yet I didn't have any way to make good on it without stealing time from my sons.  Perhaps my husband has a point.  Perhaps running is the best way to knock that chip off my shoulder, now that I'm fully aware of the serious imbalance I have allowed it to cause in my life, begrudgingly thanks to the Army.  My forced time away from it has allowed me to be really introspective.
Elite start Chicago Marathon 2008, Casey with
the boys, and Mama about to live the dream,
though things didn't go well that day.
 I thought I'd have many many more.
My how the tables did turn, and oh how
I have not adjusted easily.

I think his plan is a good idea.  First, because it would force me to use a great deal of self-discipline to run 40 miles a week consistently.  It would definitely humble me.  It would force me to run for enjoyment, because there would be no formal training plan.  No, 2 hard days one long day, no prescribed weekly mileage.  Just a simple, you can't EXCEED 40mpw for all of 2012.  Second, I like it because with the formality taken out of it I can focus my energy on preparing my mind and spirit to enjoy my passion humbly and without ego, like I used to.  He said, "You can't deny yourself the ability to act out a crucial part of who you are."  I might have been doing that even before I walked away.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with deconstructing yourself in order to get at the  core of what it is you need in order to know how to "act out a crucial part of who you are."  He thinks I should race at least once a year.  Jury is out on that.  He thinks racing would be a way to transfer the humility I'm learning daily onto the competitive stage.  I see where he's coming from.

I have to give myself a little credit,  I am not always so superior, nor do I see myself as a workout diva in all circles, certainly not among my running friends.  Even when I was full out training I ran lower mileage than most of peers, by 20 miles per week at least.  This superiority started when we entered the Army.  It's not an easy transition, and negatively effects each of us differently.  So no, I don't strut around town with my nose in the air.  I am genuinely pretty warm, friendly, and compassionate a majority of the time.  Given you don't accidentally stomp on the landmine of resentment (directed at no one/nothing in particular) I'm trying to defuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolling will not be tolerated, otherwise carry on.